Heron Island Resort Info
Heron Island is paradise for the nature lover, catering to both couples and families.
The island is situated on the Great Barrier Reef, which means you can snorkel right off the island. Scuba divers come back again and again to fully discover the 20 dive sites that are just minutes off the island.
Heron Island is small enough to walk around in 20 minutes, yet it has everything you could wish for: a restaurant (Shearwater Restaurant) to satisfy healthy appetites, a deep resort swimming pool backing onto a bar (Baillie's Bar) and an abundance of wildlife that will truly amaze. Turtles return year after year to lay their eggs and guests can gather just outside their rooms (particularly the Beachside Suites) to watch the hatchlings make their way to the water.
Come June you may see whales passing by on their annual pilgrimage. Nesting season sees the island's resident human population well outnumbered by birds who visit annually from October to March to breed.
Resort Child Policy:
- Children 2 - 12 years stay and eat breakfast FREE when using existing bedding
- Swimming pool
- Foreign exchange and travellers cheques, Safety deposit facilities
- Postal service
- Public telephones
- Daily activities program
- Flora and fauna reference literature
- Guest Departure Lounge with showers
- Guest laundry facilities
- Cots available free of charge
- Conference facility for up to 100 people
- Internet access available at reception
- Resort Boutique
- Dive Shop
- Marine Parks interpretative Centre
- Registered nurse and first aid clinic
- Guided reef walks (subject to tides)
- Guided Birdlife walks
- Wildlife presentations
- Snorkelling lessons in swimming pool
- Tennis (night & day)
- Table Tennis
- Island ecology walks
- Evening nature slide presentations
- Trivia night
- Snorkelling excursions to the reef edge
- Junior Ranger Program 7 - 12 yrs (available during Australian Eastern Seaboard school holidays) ($15 per child per session)
- Semi-submersible coral viewing cruises
- Scuba diving
- Semi-Submersible coral viewing tour
- Discover Scuba (1 day resort course)
- Learn to Dive courses
- Fishing trips
- Scenic helicopter flights
- Sunset wine & cheese cruises
- Beach Picnic Hampers
- Aqua Soul Day Spa
- Turtle Tour (Dec - April)
Total of 109 Rooms all feature:
- Balcony or terrace
- Ceiling fans
- En-suite bathroom with shower, hairdryer
- Ironing facilities
- Linen and towels and beach towels provided
- Mini fridge
- Tea and Coffee making facilities
* To help guests leave the outside world behind, televisions and telephones, while available on the island, are not found in guest rooms (telephones are available in Point Suites, Wistari Suites and the Beach House).
Heron Beachside Suites, Point, Wistari and Beach House also offer:
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Coffee plungers
- Mini Bar
- CD player
- Evening Canapés*
- Evening turndown*
- Air-conditioning *
- *Unavailable in Heron Beachside suites
- Located in a tropical garden setting, a short walk away from the beach and close to the central resort facilities.
- Two rooms per block, all at ground level and feature a deck and outdoor area.
- Queen bed or Family Room with Queen + 2x single beds.
- Positioned close to the beach and offer filtered reef and water views through a canopy of beachside trees and shrubs.
- The living area extends outdoors to a balcony or garden setting, interiors are light and comfortable.
- Queen + day bed or Family Room with Queen + 2x single beds.
- Offer spectacular filtered views over Heron Reef and are set in a prime beachside location.
- Double glass sliding doors fill the room with natural light and connect both the spacious bedroom and separate living area with a large outdoor balcony.
- The living area features two beds, comfortable armchairs, coffee table and desk.
- The bedroom can be separated from the living area by a Japanese-style sliding door.
- King + 2 single divans
Situated within a secluded garden setting with filtered ocean views and offer maximum privacy.
Interiors are spacious and include a living area with sofa and armchair and separate sleeping area with King bed.
A private outdoor terrace features wooden furniture and a two person hammock.
Short stroll away from the central resort facilities, beach and walking tracks.
King or 2x single beds.
- Set in a premium position with an outlook that offers uninterrupted reef views and magical sunsets over the ocean.
- Within easy access of the resort amenities.
- Spacious and include a large ensuite and separate dressing room.
- A generous living area extends through glass doors to an extensive outdoor terrace with sun lounges and walking out onto the lawn and resort gardens.
- King or 2x single beds.
The Beach House:
Located beachside and set within a grove of trees, offering filtered ocean views and a private boardwalk that provides direct access to the beach.
With only one Beach House on offer, this accommodation offers maximum privacy and is located a short stroll away from the central resort facilities and restaurant.
Separate bedroom and spacious ensuite including a luxurious bath and shower.
An expansive living area features an oversized sofa and work desk and opens out onto a private patio with outdoor furniture and outdoor shower.
King + day bed.
5 night stay Divers Delight package upgrade (additional charges apply):
Includes 6 Dives + 1 additional dive. Heron or Wistari Reefs including air, scuba, weights and boat trip. Additional charges will apply to Children 10-12 years and they may only dive if fully certified and accompanied by an adult. (Minimum 5 night stay)
Heron Island lies on the Tropic of Capricorn (23 degrees south of the equator), 72 kilometres NE off the coast from Gladstone, central Queensland.
Arriving to Gladstone by Plane:
Regular flights to Gladstone are available via Sydney and Brisbane with either Qantas or Virgin Australia.
Arriving to Gladstone by Car:
If you’re making your own way to Gladstone Marina you’ll find it at Bryan Jordan Drive, Gladstone. We strongly recommend you pre-book secure car lock-up facilities by calling Complete Angler on 07 4972 7283, available for approximately $12 per day ($60 per week) for a covered car park or $10 per day ($50 per week) for an uncovered park. On arrival at the Gladstone Marina, guests will be provided with a boarding card for the boat transfer to Heron Island once checked in.Gladstone to Heron Island:
- From Gladstone, Heron is 2 hours by boat.
- The boat will depart Gladstone Marina at 2:00pm (EST) and arrive at Heron Island at 4:30pm (EST) every day except Tuesdays & Thursdays.
- To connect with the 2:00pm launch departure to Heron Island, we recommend a flight arrival into Gladstone no later than 12:40pm. Guests arriving into Gladstone will be provided with a transfer from the airport to the Marina. Please make your way to the front of the Terminal once you have collected your luggage to meet the transfer service departing at approx. 12:40pm.
Heron Island to Gladstone:
- The launch departs Heron Island to Gladstone – Departs Heron Island at 10:00am and arrive at Gladstone Marina at 12:30pm
- every day except Tuesday and Thursdays and Christmas Day. With the exception of the 12th November when the boat will not be operating.
- The launch connects with flights departing Gladstone from 1:45pm onwards.
- Due to tides and unpredictable situations we recommend you purchase travel insurance.
- All launch transfers are subject to change without notice due to weather conditions.
To Heron By Sea Plane:
- Flight time is 25 minutes
- Australia by Seaplane, operates the scenic transfers daily (excluding Christmas Day) subject to availability and tides times.
- Baggage allowance of 15kg per person (including hand luggage) applies. Soft suitcases are preferred.
- Guest weights must be advised prior to booking to ensure payload requirements are met
- Arriving into Gladstone, please make your way to the Australia by Seaplane Office, close to the main Gladstone Airport Terminal. After collecting your luggage at the baggage carousel, please exit the main Airport Terminal and turn right, and you will find the Australia by Seaplane Office 100 metres from the Gladstone Airport (look for the cream building with the 'Australia by Seaplane' sign). Please allow 75 minutes prior to arrival and departure to allow for check-in procedures.
- All flights are subject to change without notice due to weather conditions
- A minimum of 4 passengers per flight are required to operate.
What To Bring
- Casual resort style for daytime, smart casual for after 6:00pm. Also include suitable footwear for beach and island walks.
- There is no mobile coverage on Heron Island
- $6.50 per person EMC per day is payable on check-out. Maximum $19.50 per person will be charged.
it was so nice
it was so nice ...thankyou
Posted By Barbara Mead
watching turtles laying eggs
a wonderful island to relax and interact with nature, accommodation is natural and honest. take the food package you wont be disappointed. staff are all willing to help. watching turtles laying eggs was the highlight of our short break.
Posted By Graham Street
Saw the turtles lay eggs
We had a brilliant holiday. Great place for kids as there was so much to do. We all loved the snorkling with turtles, reef sharks and all the colourful fish including Nemo. Saw the turtles lay eggs outside our room, watched the baby terns, slipped cocktails by the pool what more could you ask for. We have to come back for the baby turtles. Great for the busy person - no email or mobile phones - a complete relaxation with the spa package as well!!
Posted By Tony & Shirley
Great service, delicious and varied food.
Only the beds could be more confortable, the mattress need to be changed. But for the rest it is great.
Posted By Chantal Berard
Had a fantastic stay
Had a fantastic stay on the Island. The staff were fantastic and the diving superb. We will definitately be returning.
Posted By Lorraine Stewart
Heron Island Resort Rates
Need Help With Your Booking?Our Cairns Office is open again in 7 hours
About Travstar Booking Requests
There are some things a computer can't do.
We love helping people plan their holidays and we want to make sure we get it right.
Some holiday packages can be quite complicated with multiple tours and accommodation, pick-up times and extras.
That's why every booking made through a Travstar Website is checked by our local consultants.
It takes a little bit longer to get your tickets but we want to make sure everything is going to run smoothly for you.
How long wil it take to get my tickets?
Our team are alerted to new booking requests as they come in. During office hours you can expect to have your tickets within an hour or two.
After office hours your tickets may take up to 12 hours to arrive.