Cockatoo Hill Retreat InfoCockatoo Hill Retreat
Cockatoo Hill Retreat is paradise found. Here you can enjoy the expansive views from Hutchinson Hill towards Cape Tribulation and the dramatic heights of Thornton Peak in the west.
Why we like it?
- Secret Paradise
- Boutique Rainforest Tree houses
- Breakfast daily included
- Inspiring and Romantic
- Hand-crafted features throughout
- Horizon, Rainforest & Ocean Views
- Freshwater wet-edge swimming pool
Matching the glorious views is the rich wildlife seen regularly at the retreat. A large variety of birds, including the reclusive rainforest cassowary, live in this forest habitat. Expect to also see the beautiful Ulysses and Cairns Birdwing butterflies, the friendly green tree frog, shy goannas and water dragons.
Welcome to the Daintree's most beautiful boutique rainforest resort, a secret paradise perched between Cape Tribulation and Port Douglas with only four exclusive tree lodges.
Crafted from beautiful local timbers and featuring a roof thatched in the traditional Balinese style, The main Lodge is an inviting haven, tempting you to laze at your private table after breakfast, gazing at the Coral Sea in the distance…
When you first open the door to your private Tree House, it's as if you have entered into another world. A world of beauty and simple elegance. It's the most inspiring and romantic setting you can imagine. A spacious, welcoming bedroom complete with ensuite opens onto a large balcony. The bedroom features soft lighting and a beautiful hand-crafted timber king-size bed. The thatched-roof provides provides natural air conditioning.
From the large timber deck, the magical views hold you in awe…there is Thornton Peak, the tallest mountain, often wrapped in cloud and mystery…there is the Coral Sea and, always, the rainforest surrounding you.
Breakfast is included in the rate and is a tropical continental using the choicest local fruits. It is served in the main lodge from 7am to as late as you wish.
There are restaurants within an easy drive of the retreat for lunch and dinner.
- Freshwater wet-edge swimming pool
- Cascading waterfall
- Picnic on the beach or at a nearby river waterhole
- Visit the Rainforest Environment & Interpretive Centre Walk the many boardwalks through the rainforests in the area.
- Take a day or night guided walk in the World Heritage-listed rainforest
- Take a river cruise on the Daintree River or Cooper Creek. Cruises offer birdwatching, wildlife and crocodile spotting, fishing or even a sunset dinner option.
- Go horse riding or sea kayaking at Cow Bay or Cape Tribulation
- Snorkel on a reef cruise from Cape Tribulation
- Visit Cape Tribulation Exotic Fruit Farm for tropical fruit tasting
- Take a 4WD safari beyond Cape Tribulation to Bloomfield and Cooktown
- Explore even more with a light aircraft scenic reef or rainforest flight
- The Hosts intimate knowledge of the Daintree region and its environment ensures your stay at Cockatoo Hill will be a highly memorable one.
The Retreat is approximately 2 hours drive north of Cairns by the scenic Captain Cook Highway, and 1 hour north of Port Douglas.
Turn right in the direction of the Daintree River Ferry Crossing and Cape tribulation
The vehicle ferry operates constantly between 6am and midnight (charges apply) and in about 10 minutes it will take you over the Daintree River to where the World Heritage rainforest and reef are side by side.
The entrance to Cockatoo Hill Retreat is 17 kilometres north of the ferry crossing on the Cape Tribulation Road on the right hand side of the road just after the tea plantation, and 300m before the petrol station.
This property does not cater for children
Closed in February
GREAT NEWS! All payments made to Travstar do not incur a credit card surcharge.
Cockatoo Hill Retreat Rates
Need Help With Your Booking?Our Cairns Office is open again in 10 hours
About Travstar Booking Requests
There are some things a computer can't do.
We love helping people plan their holidays and we want to make sure we get it right.
Some holiday packages can be quite complicated with multiple tours and accommodation, pick-up times and extras.
That's why every booking made through a Travstar Website is checked by our local consultants.
It takes a little bit longer to get your tickets but we want to make sure everything is going to run smoothly for you.
How long wil it take to get my tickets?
Our team are alerted to new booking requests as they come in. During office hours you can expect to have your tickets within an hour or two.
After office hours your tickets may take up to 12 hours to arrive.