Cape Trib, Reef, Waterfalls Backpacker
6 NIGHTS BACKPACKER ACCOMMODATION
2 DAY 1 NIGHT WATERFALLS ADVENTURE
OUTER BARRIER REEF | SNORKEL FROM CAIRNS
2 DAY 1 NIGHT CAPE TRIBULATION
MOSSMAN GORGE | DAINTREE RIVER CRUISE
Cape Trib, Reef, Waterfalls Backpacker Info
Backpacker Circuit: Cape Tribulation, Crater Lakes, Reef & Waterfalls Backpacker circuit is fun budget package.
Cape Tribulation, Outer Reef & Waterfalls Backpacker Circuit includes:
- Guided tour to Cape Tribulation
- 1 night Cape Trib P.K's Rainforest Resort
- Mossman Gorge
- Daintree River Cruise
- Osprey V Outer Barrier Reef
- Swim in Waterfalls
- 1 night Yungaburra On the Wallaby lodge
- Canoe & Mountain bike
- 4 nights at Gilligans Backpacker Resort, Cairns
DAY ONE: Check-in at Gilligan's
Gilligan's Backpacker Hotel & Resort provides an excellent standard of accommodation for backpackers and budget conscious young, (and young at heart) travellers in the heart of the Cairns CBD.
What makes it great:
Free airport pick up
Free entree meal *with beverage purchase
Free use of gymnasium
- Free entry into entertainment venues before 10pm, 50% discount after 10pm
VIP prices throughout venue
Features and Services:
- Lagoon Pool with Waterfall
- Pool Tables
- Tour Desk and Travel Information
- Guest laundry & ironing facilities
- Pool bar & Spa area
- Restaurant, Gaming area & Beer Garden
- Internet café
- Luggage Storage
- Communal kitchen
- Recreational areas with flat screen TV's
- Outdoor cinema screen
- 24 hour reception/security
- Air conditioned
- Secure key access
- Linen supplied
- Small lockers for electronics & personal effects
- Additional power outlets for charging electronics
- En-suite in all room types
NOTE: If towels required for dormitory guests they are available from reception, there is a $10 deposit plus $2 usage charge. Irons and hairdryers are also available from reception.
Centrally located between Sheridan & Grafton streets, in the midst of Cairns city centre, Gilligan's is the ideal base from which to explore the beautiful and tropical north. The great thing about Gilligan's is everything is at your finger tips without leaving the property.
By night, this area comes alive with cocktail bars, nightclubs, regular concerts or National Basketball League games at the Cairns Convention Centre & diverse restaurants offering everything from the finest international a-la-carte dining to fresh local seafood.
Located next to famous Rusty's Markets where you can buy the freshest produce and sample what the tropics have to offer.
DAY TWO: ON THE WALLABY OVERNIGHT RAINFOREST TOUR
Lots of Swimming & heaps of FUN! Explore the Highland Rainforest, Unique Wildlife and Crater Lakes on the Atherton Tablelands. The day begins with a visit to the Curtain Fig Tree and continues with guided rainforest walks in search of native wildlife at both the Cathedral Fig Tree and the volcanic crater, Lake Barrine, before lunch. Travel through the picturesque countryside for the day's highlights, swimming at several pristine waterfalls, such as the famous Millaa Millaa, plus a jungle trek to view the raging Dinner Falls and World Heritage listed Mount Hypipamee National Park.
Gilligans Pick-up 8am approx.
Cathedral Fig Tree
Guided Rainforest walk at Lake Barrine
Picnic Lunch at Lake Eacham
Millaa Millaa Falls & Dinner Falls
Crater at Mt Hypipamee
Seriously good BBQ Dinner
DAY THREE: ON THE WALLABY - Mountain bikes and wildlife canoeing:
Guests are treated to a guided mountain bike ride through the lush, green Atherton Tablelands countryside and rainforest for a swim and walk at the volcanic crater, Lake Eacham. (lunch can be purchased here at own expense).
In the afternoon explore a secluded area of Lake Tinaroo in the safety of your two person canoe. Guides will help you spot rare wildlife such as tree kangaroos, birds and water dragons. Then, have your face painted with Aboriginal ochre clay before hot showers, tea and coffee at On the Wallaby Lodge.
- Self-serve breakfast
- Curtain Fig Tree
- Guided Mountain Bike tour of Atherton Tablelands Country Side
- Swim & Walk at Lake Eacham (Lunch at own expense)
- Canoeing at Lake Tinaroo
- Unique wildlife
- Face Painting with Aboriginal Ochre Clay
- Hot Showers
- Tea & Coffee back at the Lodge
- Return to Gilligans around 7pm approx. and check-in for 2 nights.
- Nocturnal Wildlife Canoeing - A great way to spot unique rainforest animals from the safety of a two man canoe - departs nightly at 8pm, and includes guides, transport, lifejackets & torches.
- It is possible to upgrade to a private double room on request for an additional cost but it is not guaranteed. Double rooms do not have ensuites.
DAY FOUR: OSPREY V OUTER BARRIER REEF TRIP:
Down Under Cruise & Dive offer M.V. Osprey V a state of the art high-speed 35-metre (120ft) vessel, cruising at up to 30 knots, providing comfort and safety for a maximum of 100 passengers. With less travel time, you’ll spend more time at the Reef!
Experience two different reef destinations such as Norman, Saxon, Hastings or Michaelmas Reef. Reef sites are chosen on the day to ensure the best protection and underwater visibility according to weather conditions. Expect to see spectacular coral formations and masses of brilliantly coloured fish.
- Make own way for check in at the Reef Fleet Terminal Cairns, from 07:45am at the Down Under Cruise & Dive counter (this is about a 10 minute walk from Gilligan's)
- Boarding commences at 08:00am for an 08:20am departure
- This trip returns to Cairns at approx 4:45pm.
- Hotel Transfers are not included but can be booked for an additional fee
- 5 hours spent visiting 2 outer reef locations
- Snorkelling gear and flotation devices
- FREE guided snorkelling tours
- FREE 10 min scuba dive demonstration - (charges apply if you proceed)
- Aussie BBQ lunch including steak, fish, prawns, sausages and tropical salads (vegetarians are catered for)
- FREE tea, coffee and biscuits, complimentary cheese and fruit platter on return journey
- Live on-board entertainment on return journey
- Environmental Management Charge $20
- 7.30am Check-in at Reef Fleet Terminal, commence boarding at 8:00am
- 8.20am Departs Daily
- 9:50am Approximate arrive Norman OR Saxon Reef
- 3 hours to play, Snorkel Tour, sunbathe & relax, Aussie BBQ Lunch is served
- 12: 20pm Depart for Hastings Reef
- 12:30pm Arrive Hastings Reef
- 2 hours to play, Snorkel
- 4:45pm Returns back into Cairns
- Hotel transfers
- Semi-Submersible tour $10 if pre-booked or $20 on the day of travel
- Intro/Certified Diving
- Dive Guide (for Certified Divers)
- Wetsuits for Snorkelers and Intro Divers $10 (included for Cert. Divers)
- Lycra Suits $10
- On-board purchases - drinks, snacks, underwater camera
- 10 minute scenic helicopter flight
- Be aware snorkelling & diving may be a strenuous activity - All snorkelling & diving are subject to completion of on-board medical questionnaire /declaration.
- A history of asthma, diabetes, ear, epilepsy, heart, pregnancy, recent operations and other medical conditions and medications may preclude a passenger from diving. Please discuss existing medical conditions with staff prior to travel. Or if in doubt, please visit your local dive doctor to get a medical clearance.
- Should a trip be cancelled passengers will be offered an alternative day of travel or a full refund
- Semi sub will operate subject to weather conditions.
DAY FIVE: CAPE TRIB OVERNIGHT WITH ADVENTURE COMPANY
Experience an overnight adventure staying in the oldest rainforest in the world. Take time to explore the rainforest, rivers and beaches of the Daintree and Cape Tribulation and enjoy unique rainforest accommodation.
Coastal Drive – Travel to Port Douglas on one of the most renowned scenic coastal roads in Australia. Have your camera ready for breath taking views.
Wildlife Habitat – 1 hour to visit the award winning Rainforest Wildlife Habitat where you will venture through purpose built native habitats of some of Australia’s rare, endangered and beautiful native animals. You have a chance to have morning tea with the birds (optional extra), hand feed a Kangaroo and see a Koala doing what they do best…..sleeping!
Mossman Gorge - Enjoy a brief stop (1 hour) and guided rainforest walk. See the crystal clear waters of Mossman River cascade over spectacular boulder formations amongst the lush rainforest.
Alexandra Lookout – The perfect location to view where the Daintree Rainforest, Daintree River and the Coral Sea merge into one spectacular panoramic reflection. Ideal spot for those post card photo opportunities.
Lunch Time – Only meters from Cape Tribulation Beach you will be treated to a Chef prepared lunch. Indulge in a set menu choice of local barramundi (fish), Steak and a Vegetarian option all served with a fresh garden salad & chips, daily baked bread finished off with a tropical fruit platter to share at your table. Bring your towel & swimmers for a dip in the resort pool or in the ocean (marine stingers are present during the stinger season Oct to June).
Cape Tribulation Beach – Already there for the lunch break you now have free time for a walk along the full length of the magical Cape Tribulation Bay (takes 30min unguided) or simply kick back and relax under the fringing rainforest of the Daintree where the “Rainforest meets the Reef”!
**You will be dropped off to your selected Cape Trib accommodation and your tour will commence the following day.
06:40 Gilligans pick-ups commence
08:30 Rainforest Habitat
10:00 Mossman Gorge
11:00 Daintree River Cable ferry crossing
12:30 Lunch – Set Menu
13:00 Cape Tribulation Beach Walk
13:45 Accommodation drop-offs
PK's Jungle Lodge is a budget accommodation minutes from the beach in the heart of Cape Tribulation surrounded by the Daintree World Heritage Rainforest. Lounge around the large pool soaking up the warm tropical sun and then in the evening it all happens at PK's famous Jungle Bar.
Dorms - featuring 4 or 7 beds, a/c. linen supplied (BYO towels) and shared facilities.
Ensuite Room - airy timber rooms in a lush tropical setting with ensuite, double or twin beds, a/c, linen & towels supplied.
Daintree River Wildlife Cruise – Your journey continues to the majestic Daintree River for a 1 hour Wildlife and Crocodile exploration. This is a rare location to see wildlife at play in their native habitat and retrieve knowledge and tales of the area from a local naturalist guide.
Rex Lookout – On the return trip back to Cairns, stop briefly at Rex’s Lookout. A popular spot for tourist’s to take scenic photos of the coast line and out to Green Island. It’s also a popular spot for dare devil hang gliders to enjoy the uplifting sea breeze.
13:45 Accommodation pick-ups from Cape Trib
15:00 Daintree River Wildlife Cruise
18:30 Gilligans drop-off, Check-in to Gilligans for last night
DAY SEVEN: CHECK OUT OF GILLIGANS. END OF PACKAGE
Please note: This package includes accommodation and tours but does not include any meals except those mentioned in the above itinerary. You can start this package any day of the week. Options are available to extend your stay at P.K's or upgrade your accommodation to a private room. We can also tailor make your own package if the components in this package do not suit your requirements.
Very friendly staff. Excellent trip only thing is more options for kids with regards to food.
Posted By Christine Davies
G'day Gene just wanted to thank you for recommending Down Under Cruise and Dive's Evolution what a beautiful, comfortable well equipped vessel. We had a fantastic day, staff were fantastic friendly helpful funny knowledgeable and professional food was great and there was a lot of it. Snorkeling was great despite the conditions being less than perfect we will be back in the future and will definately consider going out on Evolution again and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. All in all fantastic day and thank you again for your assistance. Regards Gavin and Lynne.
Sent from my iPhone
Posted By Gavin North
Beautiful vessel staff were fantastic great food and lots of it despite less than perfect conditions snorkeling was great good atmosphere great entertainment on return trip and beer and wine very reasonably priced overall very happy and great value for money we will be back. Booked through travstar and Gene made everything easy and stress free and would recommend travstar and Evolution to anyone.
Posted By Gavin North
no stress, book, pay, receive tickets then turn up
Posted By Neil Green
Room was great,
Room was great, service was slow sometimes. Great location
Posted By Mikal Hetland
A compulsory stop in Cairns!
A compulsory stop in Cairns!
Posted By Carla Roberts
walking distance to everything
As a person young at heart, Gilligans get me back the confidance to stay at such resorts. The facility is centrally located, and clean.
Posted By Louise Kairns
Fantastic for all travellers
Fantastic for all travellers, whether alone or with friends and family,ur guranteed a good time!
Posted By Sarina Robertson
I have to say this was a fantastic tour
I have to say this was a fantastic tour...the best part was the waterfalls....we got to swim in them a dream come true. The tour guides were excellent, friendly and informative, we also were not rushed throughout the whole day, we could enjoy at a leisure pace. We thank on the wallaby
Posted By Bianca Coluccio
truly magical place
Cape Tribulation is a truly magical place. Our accomodation was great, a simple wooden cabin on the beach. Food in the cafe was great! Staff were lovely. Our tour guide was fab, knowledgeable without being overpowering. My one critisism is that too much is crammed into the 2 day break so that not enough time at each destination to appreciate. Less would definitely be more!
Posted By Helen Ferguson
Need Help With Your Booking?Our Cairns Office is open again in 4 hours
About Travstar Booking Requests
There are some things a computer can't do.
We love helping people plan their holidays and we want to make sure we get it right.
Some holiday packages can be quite complicated with multiple tours and accommodation, pick-up times and extras.
That's why every booking made through a Travstar Website is checked by our local consultants.
It takes a little bit longer to get your tickets but we want to make sure everything is going to run smoothly for you.
How long wil it take to get my tickets?
Our team are alerted to new booking requests as they come in. During office hours you can expect to have your tickets within an hour or two.
After office hours your tickets may take up to 12 hours to arrive.