INSTANT BOOKING OPTIONS
Kuranda Train & Skyrail Self-Drive Info
KURANDA, SELF-DRIVE, SCENIC RAIL & SKYRAIL
(Self-drive; Train Up, Skyrail Down)
- Self-drive to Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, Captain Cook Highway, Smithfield
- Park your car free for the day
- Meet Down Under Tours coach at Skyrail, Smithfield
- Coach transfer to Freshwater Station
- Have a look around this pretty station and Museum
- Kuranda Scenic Rail departs
- Free time in Kuranda
- Skyrail depart Kuranda at your allocated time
- Disembark at Skyrail Smithfield to collect your car
- Self-drive back to your accommodation
In summary: When you reach the end of your Skyrail journey you are able to simply get into your car and drive back to your hotel. If you plan to do the Gold Class upgrade you will be served an alcoholic beverage if you wish. Gold Class is offered on the 9:50am train in the morning. If you prefer to do the Skyrail in the morning followed by the Gold Class Train in the afternoon so that you can enjoy an alcoholic beverage in the afternoon this is possible but it is a different tour.
Self-drive to Skyrail on the Captain Cook Highway, Smithfield. Leave your car in the car park - free of charge. Meet the Down Under Tours Tours coach in the car park. You will be greeted by your Driver, who will collect your voucher, issue your Kuranda Boarding Pass and transfer you to Freshwater Station. Do not go into the Skyrail terminal to check-in. You are being transferred to Freshwater Station to meet the train first.
Kuranda Boarding Pass
Kuranda Scenic Rail: At Freshwater Station, board the famous Kuranda Scenic Rail for your 1.5hr journey to Kuranda.
Kuranda Village: Free time is allowed to explore this quaint village, including the Markets which operate daily.
Skyrail Rainforest Cableway: Journey into one of the oldest continually surviving rainforests on earth. Enjoy two stops at Barron Falls and Red Peak Stations before returning to Cairns.
Barron Falls: Spectacular views of the Barron Gorge and Barron Falls via three viewing platforms; Skyrail-CSIRO Interpretation Centre; historical pioneering displays.
Red Peak: Lush rainforest including the towering 500 year-old Kauri Pine. Interpretive boardwalk tour with Skyrail Ranger available throughout the day.
We suggest you allow 1.5 hours for your Skyrail journey to Smithfield. This allows for time at the two stops en-route to enjoy the boardwalks. Skyrail Smithfield disembark to collect your car.
**Please note this is a self-guided tour
OPTIONAL UPGRADES (ADDITIONAL COST)
Gold Class Kuranda Scenic Rail provides a premium experience for passengers wanting that extra comfort and a little bit of luxury for a most memorable experience. Gold Class includes:
- 9:50am departure from Freshwater Station to Kuranda
- Dedicated personalised Gold Class attendant
- Individual seating, lounge-style chairs (24 seats in each carriage over 4 carriages)
- Ambient, historical décor, including timber look flooring, historical photographs and cedar interior
- Gift pack including Kuranda Scenic Railway badge, pen, postcard
- Souvenir trip guide available in 9 languages
- Optional exclusive tour of the Heritage-Listed Signal Cabin at Kuranda station
- Conducted 15 minutes after arrival for morning trains
- Food & beverage offerings will focus on Queensland and local Tablelands produce such as:
o Gallo Dairyland Cheese
o Skybury Coffee & Daintree Tea
o Wondaree Macadamias
o Mango to Go (100% pure mango "ice-cream" style treat)
o Freshly baked muffins with local fruit
o Sirromet Wines & Great Northern Brewing Company Super Crisp Lager
Kuranda Wildlife Experience includes entry to the Kuranda Koala Gardens, Birdworld and the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary. You will have access to all three attractions at a great saving off the normal admission price!
Skyrail Diamond View (glass floor) gondolas not only provide guests with amazing panoramic views of the rainforest canopy, tropical landscape and Coral Sea, but also the unique perspective of looking straight down at the treetops through to the forest floor. Maximum 5 people and an waiting time of 7 minutes. (extra cost and by request only)
Skyrail Rainforest Cableway GPS coordinates
GOOD NEWS! All payments made to Travstar do not incur a credit card surcharge.
Need Help With Your Booking?Our Cairns Office is open again in 5 hours
About Travstar Booking Requests
There are some things a computer can't do.
We love helping people plan their holidays and we want to make sure we get it right.
Some holiday packages can be quite complicated with multiple tours and accommodation, pick-up times and extras.
That's why every booking made through a Travstar Website is checked by our local consultants.
It takes a little bit longer to get your tickets but we want to make sure everything is going to run smoothly for you.
How long wil it take to get my tickets?
Our team are alerted to new booking requests as they come in. During office hours you can expect to have your tickets within an hour or two.
After office hours your tickets may take up to 12 hours to arrive.